Assignment: Chicano 111 Exam
Assignment: Chicano 111 Exam
Assignment: Chicano 111 Exam
1. Who is the only Mexican-American actor to win two Academy Awards for Best Supporting Actor.
2. The following words: ahuacatl, tocayotl, chilli, and tahtli are all examples of what ancient Mexican language?
3. Playwright __________________ is considered to be the father of Chicano Theater.
4. According to the article “El Movimiento Chicano: The Art of Revolution,” In 1969, Luis Valdez made an 18 minute film version of what epic poem?
5. What Chicano theater professor and critic interviewed Luis Valdez in Necessary Theater?
6. What was the first and only Chicano play to be produced on Broadway?
7. In the article “Hollywood Blind About Diversity,” which columnist/writer sarcastically suggests that there should be quotas for Oscar nominations so as to make it fair for minorities? A)Anderson Cooper B)Richard Corliss C)Ruben Navarrete
8. According to Jorge Huerta states in the reading “Chicano Drama Performance, Society and Myth” he states that Luis Valdez
worked with what theater company before establishing El Teatro Campesino?
9. True or False: The word pocho has the same meaning as Mexican-American.
10. Poet Alurista wrote the preamble _______________, during the Chicano Movement and it is often called a poem.
11. True or False: Actos are three act plays that revolve around Chicana issues.
12. The one man show, Gaytino!, was written and performed by ________________.
13. What is the name of the movie made in 1956 that starred Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson that depicted the discrimination
against Mexicans in Texas? _________________
14. Mexican silent film actor ________________ starred in the original versio of the movie Ben-Hur.
15. What was the name of the teleplay that had a lead character by the name of Ms. Jimenez? ____________________.
16. Carpa theater is a form of entertainment that originated in what country? A)U.S B)Guatemala C)Mexico D)Argentina
17. The Nahuatl word xochicuicatl, which means flower and song, is a metaphor for the _________________.
18. The word Chicano simply means an ___________________ descent.
19. What Chicano activist turned filmmaker produce the movie Selena? ___________________.
20. The Chicano Renaissance refers to the flourishing of Chicano artistic expression that began what decade) A)1960’s
B) 1970s C)1940s
21. Actress/playwright Josefina Lopez wrote the play ___________________ that in 2002, was made into the movie Real Women Have Curves.
22. El Teatro Campesino was founded in what year? ____________________
23. What “acto” from the teleplay Corridos: Tales of Passion and Revolution, shown in class, deals with the theme of incest?
24. The character ___________________ created by the Fritolay Corporation in 1967′ depicted the stereotype of a Mexican as “unshaven, sneaky and leering” and started the Chicano media reform.
25. According to Chon Noriega’s article “History of Chicano Cinema’s Rise Told For [the] First Time….” States that the filmed versions of ___________________ by Luis Valdez and ___________________ by Sylvia Morales opened and closed the first decade of Chicano cinema.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
- The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.