Case Assignment: Children Development
Case Assignment: Children Development
Case Assignment: Children Development
Michael, who is quite familiar with birds, sees an airplane for the first time and calls it a “bird.” Jean Piaget, Michael is exhibiting: a.Conservation b.Accommodation c.Reciprocal determinism d.Assimilation 2 The period of the zygote lasts about _____, beginning with _____. a.3 months; fertilization b.2 weeks; fertilization c.2 weeks; implantation d.3 months; implantation 3. According to ecological systems theory, the behaviors of each family member affect those of othrs. This represents the concept of _____ influences. a.Bidirectional b.Learned c.Predetermined d.Universal 4 Which of the following terms represent ideas by Piaget a.Schemes b.Assimilation c.All of the above d.Accommodation 5 Theories who believe the child to be a passive reactor to the environment are called: a.Naturalistic b.Mechanistic c.Dynamic d.Organismic 6 (3 points) The period of the embryo last from the ____ week through the _____ week of pregnancy a.third; tenth b.first; third c.second; eight d.fourth; twelfth 7 (3 points) ______ is the process by which the DNA ladder splits down the middle, replicating itself when each base pairs up with a new mate from the cytoplasm of the cell a.Natural selection b.Meiosis c.Crossing over d.Mitosis 8 (3 points) Which of the following terms are not characteristic of information processing theory? Memory Menarche Attention Thinking 9 (3 points) ______ represents the union between the sperm and the egg scheme zygote teratogens none of the above 10 (3 points) _____ are developmental characteristics that one can directly observe Latents None of the above Phenotype Genotype 11 (3 points) Which items represent mental strategies noted in information processing theory? Elaboration All of the above Rehearsal Organization 12 (3 points) Most babies born to mothers who used cocaine regularly during pregnancy Came into the world drug addicted Have abnormally low pitched and dull cries Are extremely placid and calm Survived only a few days 13 (3 points) Wanda, who is pregnant, lives in an old apartment building where multiple layers of paint are flaking off the walls. To protect her baby, Wanda should have the paint tested for Mercury Lead Phosphorous Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) 14 (3 points) Qualitative changes involve None of the above Both Amount Type or kind 15 (3 points) Which of the following stages relate to Freud Oral, Anal None of the above trust vs mistrust, Autonomy vs shame Sensorimotor, Preoperational 16 (3 points) Amniotic fluid Produces blood cells until the developing liver, spleen, and bone marrow are mature enough to take over this function Separates the mother’s bloodstream from the embryo or fetal bloodstream Provides a protective cover and nourishment to the prenatal organism Helps keep the temperature constant 17 (3 points) In Erikson’s model, what is critical in promoting healthy personality developmental? Sex Tabula Rasa Crisis Cognitive 18 (3 points) Teenage mothers are at greater risk than older mothers for prenatal complications because The risky behavior of many teenagers causes chromosomal abnormalities in their babies Most teenagers reproductive organs are not yet mature enough to support a pregnancy Many pregnant teenager do not receive adequate prenatal care The egg cells or ovum of teenagers are not yet mature enough to successfully unite with the father’s sperm cells 19 (3 points) Which of the following represent Piaget’s stages Oral, anal phallic, latency, genital Trust, autonomy, initiative, industry, identity Id, ego, superego sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete operational, formal operational 20 (3 points) Which of the following statements represent what is generally believed by social scientists? People help shape their own development Humans are resilient All of the above Knowledge is useful 21 (3 points) Autosomes Are the 22 matching chromosome pairs in each human cell Are the 23rd pair of chromosomes Determine the sex of the child Contain the sex chromosomes 23 (3 points) Chromosomes Store and transmit genetic information Always come in XY pairs Are inherited from the mother only Are located outside of the cell nucleus 24 (3 points) In which Piagetian stage of development do infants “think” by acting on the world with their eyes, ears, and hands? Operational Sensorimotor Preoperational Preformal 25 (3 points) Which of the following represents Freud’s contribution to human development? All behavior is motivated by unconscious dynamics Sexuality is a major motivating force in human behavior Industry vs Inferiority Errors and other unintended behaviors have symbolic meanings 26 (3 points) Your friend is a healthy woman over the age of 35 who is thinking of having her first child. You can tell her that She is more likely than a woman in her twenties to have a baby born with chromosomal defects She is likely to have more prenatal complications than a woman in her twenties She is likely to have a longer and more difficult labor than younger women Her baby is more likely than a younger woman’s baby to be low birth weight 27 (3 points) The most well-known effect of smoking during the prenatal period is Childhood lung cancer respiratory distress low birth weight allergies 28 (3 points) An expectant mother who ensures that her meat is well cooked and has other family members change the cat’s litter box is trying to avoid rubella cytomegalovirus polychlorinated biphenyls toxoplasmosis 29 (3 points) _____ refers to a limited time span during which a part of the body or a behavior is biologically prepared to develop rapidly and is especially sensitive to its surroundings range of reaction a sensitive period canalization the age of viability 30 (3 points) A ______ refers to any environmental agent that causes damage during the prenatal period Pollutant Chemical hazard Toxin Teratogen 31 (3 points) According to Erikson, a combination of adult expectations and children’s drive towards mastery creates what stage of development? Initiative vs. Guilt Autonomy vs. Shame/Doubt Trust vs. Mistrust Industry vs. InferiorityYou must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
- The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.