PSY 335 Week 4 Experimental Designs Worksheet
PSY 335 Week 4 Experimental Designs Worksheet
University of Phoenix Material
Experimental Designs Worksheet
Fill in the Blank
Using the terms listed below, complete the following (fill in the words, not the letters):
- The ___________ group receives treatment in an experimental design.
- ___________ is required in an experimental design.
- A case study, or a study with very few participants are examples of ________________.
- When separate groups of subjects receive different levels of the independent variable, this is referred to as _____________ design.
- When the researcher measures a behavior that needs to be changed, applies therapy and measures the behavior again, and then removes the treatment and measures the behavior again, this is referred to as ______________ design.
- When all subjects receive all levels of the independent variable, this is referred to as ____________ design.
- When the researcher measures a behavior that needs to be changed and then applies therapy and measures the behavior again, this is referred to as _____________ design.
- When the criterion outcome changes over time this is referred to as _______________ design.
- When measuring several behaviors or several people with baseline periods of varying lengths and an independent variable occurs, this is referred to as a ______________ design.
- When subjects are not randomly assigned and not all variables are under the control of the presenter, this is referred to as ______________ design.
A. Multiple Baseline B. Small n design C. ABA
D. Random Assignment E. Quasi-Experimental F. AB
G. Within Subject H. Experimental I. Changing Criterion
J. Between Subject
Read the following scenarios and match each scenario with the correct type of experimental design using the designs from the above exercise.
- _____ Two sections of the same class are studied regarding the effects of a new teaching method in science. One group received the new method of instruction, while the other group uses the standard, traditional method of instruction. Both classes are measured for achievement before and after the teaching methods are applied.
- _____ Subjects diagnosed as having attention deficit disorder were tested on a concentration task after receiving a new therapy comprising four types of treatment: music therapy, talk therapy, anxiety reduction therapy and biofeedback. All subjects were tested four times, once after receiving one of the four types of treatment. Each subject was tested under eachof the four conditions of the independent variabl
- _____ In a study, one group receives one treatment of the independent variable and the other group receives a different treatment of the independent variable. Subjects were all told they were going to see a video of a therapist’s session after which they would rate the quality of the session. The groups differed in that the subjects in one group were told that prior evaluations indicated that the therapist was effective whereas subjects in the other group were told that the evaluations indicated the therapist was not effective. These different subjects were used for the two levels of the independent variable: subjects were in either the “effective therapist” or the “ineffective therapist” condition.
- _____ To study verbal commands in canines, during week 1 the baseline is recorded for how many times a dog chased a cat. During week 2, dog was trained to respond to a stop command (treatment) when the dog chased the cat, and the chasing behavior was recorded. During week 3, the chasing behavior was recorded without the verbal command (treatment).
- _____ A small group is measured for the amount of anxiety they experience in math class (baseline). They are taught a relaxation method and measured again to measure anxiety in math class.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument. Assault In The City: Trial, Sentencing And Appeal
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.