Australia History Questions
Name:___________________________________________ Due Date:_______________
Directions: Use the Australia history readings to answer the questions using COMPLETE SENTENCES
Part 1: Origin and Culture of the Aborigines
1. What area or region did the Aborigines enter the Australian continent thousands of years ago?
2. What does the word “Aborigines” mean?
3. How would you describe the Aborigines? Are they miners, sailors, nomads, or ranchers and EXPLAIN WHY?
4. How did Aborigines keep their history?
5. What is a totem?
6. Which social group of the Aborigines was made of 10 to 20 people?
Part 2: The impact of English Colonization on the Language and Religion of Australia
7. What did the Dutch explorers do in Australia?
8. What did English Captain James Cook name the first colony of Australia?
9. The prisoners used to colonize Australia in the late 1700s were primarily from which country?
10. Which state in North America was first used as a penal (prison) colony?
11. Which war made the government of Great Britain look to Australia as a penal colony?
12. Why did Great Britain think Australia would be a good location for its Navy?
13. Why did the Australian government restrict immigration after it became independent from Great Britain in 1901?
14. What religion did most of the Australia’s Irish prisoners’ practice?
Part 3: The Impact of European Disease and weapons
15. Name one effect (or outcome) the British settlement/colonization had on Australia.
16. What was the greatest threat to the Aborigines after the Europeans began settling Australia?
17. What weapon gave the British a major advantage over the Aborigines?
18. What was introduced to Australia that required settlers to build farmers, clear trees, and raise crops?
19. What event in the 1850’s led to the killing of hundreds of Aborigines?
20. Why did farmers form revenge groups?