LLM International Business Law Advanced Legal Skills Assessment
a) This assessment is weighted 100% towards your final module mark. Please submit your work on or before the deadline provided on the assessment forum.
b) Please read the facts and decision in Donoghue v Stevenson  AC 562 in full and then answer the questions below. Please remember to check all presentation requirements and include a bibliography.
- What were the material facts of the case?
- What were the legal issues involved?
- What was the decision of the court?
- What were the main differences in reasoning between the majority judgment(s) and the dissenting judgment(s)? Critically assess the extent to which Aitkin’s judgement accurately reflects the opinion of the majority judges.
- What is the ‘neighbour principle’? Explain the term ‘neighbour’ and discuss where the term might be derived from
- Critically analyse the development of this principle both in the UK and in other jurisdictions.
- Read this article regarding the Oil Industry in Nigeria: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/may/30/oil-spills-nigeria- niger-delta-shell . Explain how the principles of law from Donoghue v Stevenson might be relevant to this environmental problem and assess their effectiveness in regulation the conduct of oil companies.