M5 W Ass– Case Study
Case Study: “Sylvie”
Sylvie is excited about her new position as an entry-level Human Services Provider I. Coming from her small Southern town, Sylvie has had minimal interactions with minorities—to include persons who identify as being gay, bisexual, or transgender. Theoretically speaking, Sylvie understands that, as a Human Services Professional, she must work with all types of people, regardless of her personal views. However, because she is extremely nervous working with anyone different from her. On the second day of her job, she is internally having a difficult time reading through the case of “Charlie”. Here are notes that she made from the client’s file: Sexual diversity encompasses topics associated with sexuality and gender towards ensuring plurality (which means, respecting the human rights of others). “Sylvie” is a recent graduate of an Associate in Human Services program at a southeastern community college. She comes from a small Southern town and personally believes that heterosexuality is the “right” way and that all other sexualities are sinful, based upon a personal religious ideology. Sylvie decided to move to Washington, D.C., when offered a job working with persons who have experienced chronic homelessness.
- Charlie, age 26, is Hispanic-American and was biologically born female, but identifies as being male. Charlie stated to the intake worker that “he” is the appropriate pronoun.
- Charlie stated to the intake worker that he questions his sexuality and is considering the possibility of gender reassignment.
- Charlie is scheduled for an appointment next week to discuss whether something is wrong with him and why he feels so different. Charlie wonders if it is right or wrong for him to feel awkward relative to this gender and sexuality.
Write a two-page, double-spaced paper addressing the following:
- How should Sylvie address her beliefs so that she is unbiased when working with Charlie?
- What steps should Sylvie take towards understanding her own biases so that she effectively and efficiently works with Sylvie?
Minimum Sources: 2