AFTER watching ”Can Art Amend History?” answer the following questions in 3-5 sentences each. Number each of your answers in accordance to the question. Answer in your own words and use quotes from the article when necessary. Be specific in your answers, avoid vagueness- which can result in partial credit.
- Now that you have read both Jaelynn Walls and Holland Cotter’s essays which comment on the role of the black women in Renaissance painting (Walls) and the relocation of the Theodore Roosevelt monument (Cotter), what do you think about Titus Kaphar’s personal experience in learning art history? Is it similar to your own or is this an issue that you never noticed until now?
- What does he say about the disproportionate research available on black figures in art history? Why is this important?
- Kaphar says that ”painting is a language.” What does he mean by this?
- What does Kaphar suggest when he says ”shift your gaze”? refer to the video
- What is the impact of shifting your gaze?
- How is it important when considering the broader scope of art history?
These discussions are an opportunity for us to consider issues in art history, while exploring our own ideas and solutions.
It is MOST important to be RESPECTFUL.