NURS-FPX4900 Volunteer Experience Form in CORE ELMS.
NURS FPX4900 CU Increased Mental Health Issues Video Reflection Capstone
Present your approved to the patient, family, or group and record a 10-15 minute video reflection on your practicum experience, the development of your capstone project, and your personal and professional growth over the course of your RN-to-BSN program.
Baccalaureate-prepared nurses have many opportunities to reflect on their contributions to patient care outcomes during clinical experiences. Research suggests that creating and sharing video reflections may enhance learning (Speed, Lucarelli, & Macaulay, 2018).
For this assessment, you’ll present your approved intervention to the patient, family, or group and reflect on various aspects of your capstone practicum experience. Such reflection will give you a chance to discuss elements of the project of which you are most proud and aspects of the experience that will help you grow in your personal practice and nursing career.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 2: Make clinical and operational decisions based upon the best available evidence.
- Describe one’s use of evidence and peer-reviewed literature to plan and implement a capstone project.
- Competency 3: Transform processes to improve quality, enhance patient safety, and reduce the cost of care.
- Explain whether capstone project outcomes matched one’s initial predictions.
- Competency 4: Apply health information and patient care technology to improve patient and systems outcomes.
- Assess the degree to which one successfully leveraged health care technology in a capstone project to improve outcomes or communication with a patient, family, or group.
- Competency 5: Analyze the impact of health policy on quality and cost of care.
- Explain how health policy influenced the planning and implementation of one’s capstone project, as well as any contributions the project made to policy development.
- Competency 7: Implement patient-centered care to improve quality of care and the patient experience.
- Assess the contribution of an intervention (capstone project) to patient, family, or group satisfaction and quality of life.
- Competency 8: Integrate professional standards and values into practice.
- Assess one’s personal and professional growth throughout a capstone project and the RN-to-BSN program.
- Communicate professionally in a clear and well-organized video.
Speed, C. J., Lucarelli, G. A., & Macaulay, J. O. (2018). Student produced videos—An innovative and creative approach to assessment. Sciedu International Journal of Higher Education, 7(4).
Complete this assessment in two parts: (a) present your approved intervention to the patient, family, or group and (b) record a video reflection on your practicum experience, the development of your, and your personal and professional growth over the course of your RN-to-BSN program.
Present your approved intervention to the patient, family, or group. Plan to spend at least 3 practicum hours exploring these aspects of the problem with the patient, family, or group. During this time, you may also consult with subject matter and industry experts of your choice. Be sure you’ve logged all of your practicum hours in CORE ELMS.
Use the as a guide to capturing patient, family, or group feedback about your intervention. You’ll include the feedback as part of your capstone reflection video.
Record a 10–15 minute video reflection on your practicum experience, the development of your capstone project, and your personal and professional growth over the course of your RN-to-BSN program. A transcript of your video is not required.
You’re welcome to use any tools and software with which you are comfortable, but make sure you’re able to submit the deliverable to your faculty. Capella offers Kaltura, a program that records audio and video. Refer to for more information about this courseroom tool.
Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in these activities, please contact Disability Services to request accommodations. If you’re unable to record a video, please contact your faculty as soon as possible to explore options for completing the assessment.
The assessment requirements, outlined below, correspond to the scoring guide criteria, so address each main point. Read the performance-level descriptions for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed. In addition, note the additional requirements for supporting evidence.
- Assess the contribution of your intervention to patient or family satisfaction and quality of life.
- Describe feedback received from the patient, family, or group on your intervention as a solution to the problem.
- Explain how your intervention enhances the patient, family, or group experience.
- Describe your use of evidence and peer-reviewed literature to plan and implement your capstone project.
- Explain how the principles of evidence-based practice informed this aspect of your project.
- Assess the degree to which you successfully leveraged health care technology in your capstone project to improve outcomes or communication with the patient, family, or group.
- Identify opportunities to improve health care technology use in future practice.
- Explain how health policy influenced the planning and implementation of your capstone project, as well as any contributions your project made to policy development.
- Note specific observations related to the baccalaureate-prepared nurse’s role in policy implementation and development.
- Explain whether capstone project outcomes matched your initial predictions.
- Discuss the aspects of the project that met, exceeded, or fell short of your expectations.
- Discuss whether your intervention can, or will be, adopted as a best practice.
- Describe the generalizability of your intervention outside this particular setting.
- Assess your personal and professional growth throughout your capstone project and the RN-to-BSN program.
- Address your provision of ethical care and demonstration of professional standards.
- Identify specific growth areas of which you are most proud or in which you have taken particular satisfaction.
- Communicate professionally in a clear, audible, and well-organized video.
Cite at least three scholarly or authoritative sources to support your assertions. In addition to your reflection video, submit a separate APA-formatted reference list of your sources.