Observation Paper PSYC497
Students will watch the counseling videos below and write an 8-10 page reflection paper on their observations.
Training Links for observation:
These links were provided by John Sommers-Flanagan on CESNET: https://johnsommersflanagan.com/2020/03/14/free-video-links-for-online-teaching/
- Counseling demonstrations with a 12-year-old.
- Opening a counseling session:
- The three-step emotional change trick:
- John SF demonstrates the What’s Good About You? informal assessment technique:
- Closing a session:
- Demo of assessment for anger management with a solution-focused spin with a 20-year-old client:
- Demo of motivational interviewing with a 30-year-old client:
- Demo of CBT for social anxiety with a graduate student:
- Demo of an MSE with a 20-year-old:
Sections to be covered in the Observation paper:
- Summary of each session – what did you observe in the video sessions? What specific behaviors did you notice (in the clients, in the counselor(s), in the interactions between client and counselor)?
- Application of theory – what specific psychological theory can be applied in order to better understand the client in each video session?
- Biblical Worldview Integration – How might integration of a bibical worldview be useful in the sessions?
- Application of Learning – What did you learn from observing these video sessions that will be useful as you move forward in the field and in helping others?
Requirements for paper:
- Must be in current APA format
- 8-10 pages in length
- Must include at least 5 peer reviewed citations within the text and corresponding reference page (these should be used in Application sections)
This assignment will be submitted via Blackboard.
This paper is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of the assigned module/week.