Read and annotate Chapters 1-17, pp. 1-85 in Adua by Igiaba Scego, and take notes on significant scenes and passages as well as on any insightful or helpful research. Consider possible themes and symbols developing in the story, the psychology of and relationships between the characters, and how the historical backdrop functions to add social commentary. Use can use this to help you capture details from the novel as well as your own interpretive thoughts and helpful research points, and/or use the to guide your note-taking.
Initial Post | 250-500 words
Post a reflection in response to one of the following prompts:
1. One major theme developed in both Adua and Zoppe’s lives is power. Write a reflection that discusses how power dynamics are set up in the novel. Consider Zoppe’s relationship with Adua and Adua’s relationship with “Titanic.” Also, consider the power dynamics of the respected society and various social situations of each character (Adua, Zoppe, Titanic).
2. Sometimes meaning is communicated more effectively when a character chooses not to speak. Examine the role of silence in the novel, and explain how it serves to develop an underlining theme(s).
3. We conducted pre-reading activities last week that introduced us to the historical backdrop of the novel and to various possible themes. Select one of these themes, briefly explain how it shows up in the pre-reading material (such as Papaoutai, Sambus, the opening dedication, etc.), and illustrate how the theme connects to and is developed in the novel thus far.
4. Consider any research you conducted in order to add context to the reading selection. Share with the class how some of the research you conducted brought particular insight into your interpretation of certain scenes or aspects of the novel that you would have otherwise overlooked.
5. You have been introduced to several fields of literary theory: formalism, historical criticism, postcolonial criticism, psychological theories, feminist and gender criticism, queer theory, and Marxist criticism. Write a reflection that interprets the story thus far through the lens of one of these literary theories.
Reply to two posts
Respond to the posts of two of your peers by acknowledging their ideas and identifying and communicating the fields of literary theory that are reflected in their respective interpretations, if not already noted. Add on to their ideas with other possible points, perspectives, commentary, or support (such as a quote, detail, or scenario from the reading).
Submission and Grading
Discussions are an important tool for interaction and development of a learning community. Your timely participation is essential. The attached rubric will be used to grade this assignment (please note the criteria for timeliness). To view the rubric, select the gear icon. If you’re using a mobile device, the rubrics can be found in the course navigation menu.