Psychology Neurocognitive & Paraphilic Disorders Discussion
I’m working on a psychology question and need an explanation to help me understand better.
DQ#1 Neurocognitive Disorders
- Investigate the neurocognitive disorders associated with dementia (e.g. Alzheimer’s; Frontotemporal; and Lewy Body). How are they similar to one another and how are they different? What role does a counselor have in assisting clients (and their families) who are diagnosed with such disorders?
- Select one of the neurocognitive disorders from the DSM-5. Investigate the differences within the disorder in deciding whether or not to provide a Mild versus Major Neurocognitive Disorder diagnosis (per the DSM-5). How would the severity of the disorder impact your work with a client?
- Research contemporary treatments and advancements in diagnosis/assessment with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), and report back to the class at least two different evidence-based therapies that counselors can provide when treating TBI.
DQ#2 Paraphilic Disorder
- Select one paraphilic disorder, and describe in detail the DSM-5 characteristics/criteria of that disorder as well as treatment recommendations. How might your treatment recommendations be impacting by a client’s age, cultural background, or other ethical factors?
- As a future counseling professional, would you consider working with a client who has been charged with pedophilia? For example, how might your personal values, beliefs, culture or religion influence your decision? Please be sure to support your response with scholarly sources.