Unknown Case ID Description and Rubric
· Include patient background:
· Age & gender
· Onset of signs & symptoms
· Recent activity that may have led to infection
· Any underlying diseases?
· Any recent travel outside US?
· Updated on all vaccinations?
· Any patient photos of infected site?
· WBC count?
· What samples were sent to lab to ID causative agent?
· Include all lab data performed beginning with gram stain reaction, morphology and arrangement if any. Include colony morphology on TSA plates, oxygen requirements, optimal temperature, etc.
· Does your organism produce a capsule, endospore?
· Include table illustrating results or photos of positive/negative results
· Provide a short background on your organism, such as habitat or reservoir, and a minimum of 1-3 virulence factors produced by your unknown that would lead to the signs and symptoms observed in your patient.
|Patient Case includes signs/symptoms indicative of infection by causative agent||Signs/symptoms; WBC count, patient sample collected + any additional details about incident or event (5 pts)||No signs/symptoms indicative of causative agent (0 pts)||5 pts|
|Results of all data||Include gram stain & all positive/negative results (5 pts)||Gram stain with only 1-2 test results (1 pt)||5 pts|
|Discussion||Include 1-3 virulence factors that lead to patient infection (5 pts)||No virulence factors included (0 pts)||5 pts|
|Unknown ID||Correct (15 pts)||Incorrect (0 pts)||15 pt|